Nav Menu

Household object most often swallowed by pets

random objects dogs swallow the most at home

When it comes to dangerous doggy eating habits, Aussie dogs like their jocks and socks... Not all dogs stick to dinner from the dog dish – some seek satisfaction further afield and can devour a range of objects which can be very dangerous to their health.

Pet Insurance statistics show the Top 5 danger objects for Australian dogs:

  • underwear – especially G-strings
  • socks
  • dental floss and string
  • landscaping stones
  • butter – which can cause serious problems with the pancreas

English dogs' dangerous dining includes:

  • bones
  • stones
  • corn on the cob
  • plastic
  • rubber balls

Other dangerous items consumed by dogs include fishhooks, sewing needles, fruit stones, macadamia nuts and kebab sticks. Some dogs are also good at accessing medications such as anti-inflammatories, paracetamol and antidepressants.

In many cases, animals require surgery to remove foreign objects that have obstructed their digestive system. Medical expenses can total up to $5000, this is when having Pet Insurance really pays off.

Our Customer Favourites

Related Blog Posts

Pet Insurance - The #1 accessory for your pet.

Read Now

Why Dogs Eat Poo and How to Train Them Not To

Read More

What to Do if Your Puppy is out of Control

Read Now

Related Bondi Vet Episodes

Weirdest Objects Swallowed EVER!! | COMPILATION | Bondi Vet

Watch Now

Border Collie Pup Swallows Big Squeaky Ball In One Gulp! | Full Episode |

Watch Now

Are You SERIOUS?! Dog Swallows FISHING HOOK! | Bondi Vet

Watch Now


Need Vet Help? Contact Us on 1800 838 247 or via Vet Q&A